Triple M - Methi Malai Mattar

I had plans of making methi egg burji today but when I got home, Pras said he had eaten egg for lunch. I remembered the peas that I had bought and the pack of fresh cream that I had opened for the Butter Karela Masala. So, here goes the recipe for one of my favorite white curries - methi malai mattar.

I had made a similar recipe Methi Peas Panneer sometime back. It is similar except in this one I did not use cashews.



Ingredients (Serves 2 as a side dish):
  1. 1 cup peas - I used safal frozen peas. 
  2. 1 inch cinnamon stick
  3. 3-4 cloves
  4. 1 tsp cumin seeds
  5. 1 tbsp oil
  6. 1 bunch methi leaves
  7. 1 small sized onion
  8. 4-5 medium sized cloves of garlic
  9. 1 inch size ginger
  10. 4 green chillies
  11. 150ml fresh cream
  12. 1/4 cup milk
  13. 1/4 cup water
  14. Salt to taste
  15. 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
How I made it :
  1. In a mixie jar, blend together the onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies and fresh cream.
  2. Put the peas in a microwave safe bowl and zap them for about a minute. 
  3. In a kadai, heat oil.
  4. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and cloves.
  5. Once the cumin seeds change colour, add the chopped methi leaves.
  6. Fry for about 4-5 minutes till the bitter smell goes away.
  7. Add the mixture from step 1.
  8. Add the green peas.
  9. Let it fry on slow for about 8 minutes. Stir in between to ensure no sticking. When inhaled, there should be no raw smell of onions nor ginger nor garlic.
  10. Add water and milk to get desired consistency.
  11. Add salt.
  12. Fry for about 2 minutes.
  13. Just before turning off the heat, add the garam masala. Fry for about 30 seconds and then close the lid.
  14. Serve hot with rotis.

Tips :
  1. You could use kasuri methi instead of fresh methi leaves. You may not need to fry them as much as in step 5 above. Use about 5tsp of kasuri methi.
  2. To get more volume, use cashews as in the recipe Methi Peas Panneer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I would be thrilled to hear from you on your thoughts on the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, in advance, it is much appreciated.