Strawberry ShortCake recipe (Eggless)

I absolutely love short cake and I was dying to make this after eating the famous biscuits and gravy in the US. The biscuits reminded me so much of the short cake that I made them as soon as I got a weekend free after getting home.

Here's a pic of the short cake that I made last year.  Do try this one and I'm sure you wont stop making this. I owe this one to one of my mom's close friends who taught me how to make this one along with nan khattai. She is an amazing cook like my mom but does a lot more baking that my mom does now.

I got the recipe from here as I did not remember what I had learnt.

Ingredients (serves 4):
For biscuits :

  1. 1 cup maida
  2. 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  3. 1/4 tsp salt
  4. 1.5 tbsp sugar
  5. 1/2 stick/60g butter chilled
  6. 1/3 cup of milk or fresh cream
For filling :
  1. Whipped cream  - instructions below
  2. Homemade Strawberry preserve - as per liking
How I made it :
  1. In a food processor, mix in the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
  2. Add the butter cut into small cubes with the processor on.
  3. Wait till the flour mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs
  4. Add milk little by little till the dough almost completely comes together
  5. Take it out of the processor and knead on a lightly floured surface till the dough is smooth and less sticky.
  6. Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
  7. Roll out the dough into a 1 inch thick rectangle.
  8. Cut out circles or into sqaures, place on baking tray, brush with a little milk, sprinkle a little sugar and bake for 15 minutes.
  9. Serve with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. I served it with my homemade strawberry preserve
Whipped Cream :
Ingredients :
1. 200g fresh cream
2. 3 tbsp sugar

How I made it :
  1. On a ice bath, place a glass bowl. 
  2. Pour in the fresh cream into the bowl and beat on low speed.
  3. It takes about 8 minutes to get whipped cream with soft peaks. Add the sugar once you feel that the cream has begun to thicken.

2 comments:

  1. made this last night and had it for dessert tonight. i still have few left for tomorrow. hubby and i both loved it! thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it :) And now you have tempted me.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. I would be thrilled to hear from you on your thoughts on the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, in advance, it is much appreciated.