Eggless Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

I've been itching to bake since I've been back from my US trip as I did not get to do much there with the absence of an oven. Last week I made strawberry shortcakes which were absolutely yum and this week since I am going to meet my Guddu darling, I made eggless chocolate cupcakes. I hope he likes them. I adapted the recipe from here.


Ingredients (For 6 cupcakes):

  1. 1/4 cup maida
  2. 1/4 cup wheat flour
  3. 1/4 cup ragi - I used sprouted ragi flour from Manna
  4. 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup white sugar
  5. 1 tsp vanilla powder
  6. 2.5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder - I use the one from cadbury. The weikfield cocoa powder does not satisfy the chocolate urges that I get.
  7. 1/4 tsp salt
  8. 1/2 tsp baking powder
  9. 1/2 cup water
  10. 4 tbsp neutral oil
  11. 1/4 tsp instant coffee powder
  12. 1 tsp vinegar
How I made them :
I made them in 2 batches as I have only one 6 cupcake tray.
  1. Sift the maida, ragi, whole wheat flour, vanilla, baking powder, cocoa powder.
  2. Add the salt and brown sugar. Keep aside.
  3. In another bowl mix in the water, oil, coffee powder and vinegar.
  4. Heat the oven to 180 degree C.
  5. Prepare your cup cake moulds and place liners if required. I have a non-stick tray and hence don't always need the liners.
  6. Mix the dry with wet ingredients as your oven is almost heated up. Don't fold or mix too much. Just enough to have a well mixed dough.
  7. Pour spoonfuls into the moulds until 2/3rd full.
  8. Bake for 17 minutes in middle tray. If you do not have a rack try placing the cup cake tray over any other inverted cake moulds/cooker vessel that you may have.
Cool on a wire rack and serve.

Tips :
  1. Use only cadbury cocoa. If not, you will get the same taste that you get when you eat the Chocolate cakes at cafe coffee day which I don't like.
  2. Mix the wet and dry ingredients just as the oven is almost at 180 degree C as the trick is to get the mixture into the oven as soon as possible. The baking powder starts to work as soon as it meets the wet ingredients. The longer you take to put it into the oven, the lower the cake will rise.

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by. I would be thrilled to hear from you on your thoughts on the recipe. Thank you for your feedback, in advance, it is much appreciated.